View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3833300)   #83
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
This article in Motorsport magazine detailed the Williams problems, one of them being that they were structured as a manufacturer team without the necessary funding.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...s-state-nation

"Williams was – and is – spending a significant part of its budget on producing components of high engineering density but which offer no performance advantage over those which can be bought much more cheaply from, say, Mercedes. It prides itself on being an engineering company but arguably isn’t buying lap time with that costly capability. It thereby denies itself the capability of spending that money on performance differentiators. It’s also why it’s been the first team to place such emphasis on using drivers to generate income – from Pastor Maldonado through to the current Lance Stroll/Sergey Sirotkin line-up."

Then they appoint people to the organization to turn it around and fire them the instant something goes wrong. The staff and partner turnover to my way of thinking continues to be a problem. Dirk De Beer, Ed Wood, Massa, and Bottas "sold" to Mercedes. (Also losing the Martini sponsorship.)

The level of engineering also seems to be crude with an aluminium gearbox and suspension push rods still on the cars, being symptomatic, and not mirrored by any other team in the paddock.

Stroll was also 1.2 secs slower than Kubica in the latter's one off appearance in Spain.

Not exactly the formula for success.
That's an interesting snippet. It looks like the old British malaise of "But we've always done it this way. I think the same thing happened to our motorcycle & car industries many years ago, I'd be very sad if Williams end up going the same way...