View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3877141)   #322
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Of course; the ATA & CPD carnet system has been going since long before the EU, it's the internationally recognised way of moving stuff around for temporary import & export, as the GOV notice explains. CPD is what's used for vehicles, I'm hoping that accompanying tools and spares can be included on the CPD, rather than a further ATA one.
I'm also wondering how CARS managed to get a monopoly on issue - the AA and RAC used to issue them back in the 60s but suspect since those organisations went commercial carnets got put in the 'too difficult' box.
Going back to carnets, and the fact that there are two types- ATA and CPD. Correct me if I’m wrong, David, but CPD can only be issued for a vehicle that is registered in the UK- in other words there is a V5 in existence? Hence the problem with a pure race car needing to be covered by an ATA. And the trailer on another.

From info passed on by another racer who spoke to CARS, they can only issue CPD carnets, while ATA versions have to be obtained from a ‘local’ Chamber of Commerce. Is that how you read it? The suggestion was that race car, tools, spares etc would be covered by one ATA, and the tow vehicle by a CPD. What I don’t understand is why the tow vehicle needs any carnet. If you were travelling in the same vehicle just for a holiday would you need a carnet then?

I’ve no idea how the figure is worked out, but appears there is a guarantee or bond to be paid to the carnet issuer (as well as the issuing cost) in case the ‘goods’ covered by said carnet are not re-imported......

Let’s just hope none of this ever gets to happen for access into mainland Europe.