View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2019, 18:53 (Ref:3921846)   #7117
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brilliant bit the guy from Racingsportscars.com (amazing site) wrote in the SC365 comments:

Quite incompetent idea - Mr. Beaumesnil should leave his spot to more clever men... Group C and former sport car racing was the best. Not this artificial cinema for TV-crowds. I hate the fact that Spa is now the last race of the season (but LM where they hopefully will not implement this unfair stupidity). I would like to see there real performance of the cars. Not something that Mr. Beaumesnil created in his head and we will have to follow it... Imagine some car would retire for accident or mechanical reasons in earlier races. Then in Spa with least ballast it can have a quite advantage over the others - and as a follower of such race, I am not really interested in the STUPID ballast, which just show lack of real equal ideas by the rule makers

-- Group C does not race at the professional level anymore. I will keep watching sports car racing till I am alive, no worries. My archives will continue regardless how stupid people will try to destroy it. I am interested in the history, in chassis numbers, in the cars - but there is no point of taking much care of the results based on manipulation :-( - just as I stopped carrying much about GT3 results some years ago - but GT3s are great to follow from the individual racing history point of view - there are simply plenty of them in the world and they can race anywhere. I just do not care which car is first or last as there is no point in such following - it is based on artificial settings not related in any way to the real performance of the cars - the original reason car racing was created. I understand there would be a lot of random-around-goers watching artificial based racing without any deep knowledge in behind, but that simply can hardly work for real sports car fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Not to start an off topic debate on F1 Rules and regulations, please remember that F1 is massively screwed with how Television rights money is distributed.
With that being said, the rules that F1 do have also off sets this by allowing "part shopping" from established teams. (See Haas)

When it comes down to it, I sadly believe that it is the economy which decides everything.
F1 have been very successfully in building what could be called a Motorsport monopoly on fans.
Having the majority of the fans, ensures that F1 will get a high income in sponsorships and Television rights, which it can use to support the teams to commit to long terms - in the end becoming the defining activity for the team/company (Ferrari, McLaren, Williams, Sauber).
As we fans can only follow a certain amount of things with a high enough dedication to become a fan, sadly most casual fans ends up with only following F1, together with which else sport they might follow (MotoGP, WRC, WRX, WEC, Cricket, Hockey, Cycling and not to forget... Football/Soccer).

In other words, with F1 (or in generally mass dominating sports) any other series will in the current climate always fight for the left overs. It is in this fight we see that ACO is struggling to find their place and how they can secure the basis of a World Endurance Championship, which is "self sustaining" in having teams participating in all classes.
Yes I as I gestured there are many problems within F1, but for the most part are still things that do not harm the 'purity' of the sport the same way as things mr Beaumesnil for example would like to see implemented everywhere. Distribution of money has issues like Ferrar legacy costs and whatever but in principal it is based on achieved results, which they had to work for... and parts trading is actually welcomed in my book, as it relates to customers cars I am not opposed to.

As for fans only following F1 and nothing else... well, frankly if the future of sportscar racing, as well all other non-club motorsport, is being either spec or BoP (or worse still mixture of both), then I don't think those others necessarily deserve to be watched. If Beaumesnil thinks sport X fails because it's not "exciting enough", well... I don't think he understands the system very well at all.

Besides. Even if say LMP1 and LMP2 had provided the most boringest competition on earth - which they haven't but let's say they have - and such would be the sole reason for the "fall" of WEC or whatever... well they still have the lottery competition going on at GTE, which these days gets more TV coverage than ever before. Why does every category need to be a wrestling match if half of the grid is already doing such? I don't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Yes, this is a real concern. On the other hand, it doesn't kill off actual constructors, in the way the LMP2/3 rules could due to being limited to four in each class.
I get what you are saying I classify constructor racing as constructors building the best possible cars and racing them... BoP racing doesn't have constructors in my book, it's more like branding stickers in an advertising shootout. They technically constructed the chassis yes (unless there is fake sticker rebranding going on) but how they do that is largely irrelevant

Last edited by Deleted; 7 Aug 2019 at 19:07.