Thread: Formula Honda
View Single Post
Old 14 Mar 2002, 14:56 (Ref:235042)   #11
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess you don't have anything to say.

The overall quality of racing has little to do with the car being raced A full grid of FH, FPA or whatever has the possibility of producing close, good to watch racing - even cicus acts like the Legends. I wonder if you just like the accidents?

My point is that, from a technical and affordability point of view, FH, radicals and other motorcycle engined racecars make far more sense. The sad thing is that because of vested interests in the sport and the shortsightedness that Honda has always shown, certainly with regard to its cars in the UK, the ultimate potential will never be realised.

I would ask you to consider, from a competitor's point of view, the idea of a relatively simple composite tub, with small but genuine wings, durable slicks powered by any one of a range of engines with multi-valves, multi-cams, sequential box, injection, digital programmable ignition, forced induction, which can be picked up for hundreds of pounds, run all season with little maintenance and would destroy a FF on the track and be far more rewarding to drive. (bear in mind that a FH is little slower than a Zetec now, even with it's tiny engine).

And all this could be done for maybe a quarter of what it costs to race Zetecs in the UK.

I see that you're only looking at this from a spectator's point of view. in that case you're right. Full grids are essential and FH won't have that in the foreseeable because of the lack of proper marketing etc. Most spectators also go for the accidents so FF will continue to survive.

One final point. I know quite a few DRIVERS who've driven both FF and FH. I don't know any who prefer the Ford. Any drivers out there who would correct me? (polite and reasoned answers only , please)