View Single Post
Old 18 Feb 2007, 12:58 (Ref:1844312)   #14
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
no specific tech info on the Ford GT - the team members who were there did not speak enough english.

As there are few Ford GT's racing anywhere this is the first proper look at one I've had. I've had the opportunity to cast my eye over the road ones briefly at Roush in Essex but not a proper tech inspection. However I'd say that in my opinion (and don't forget I'm paid to look inside racing cars) its a serious lump of racing car - perhaps on a level with the Corvette C6R (ie really quite different to the road car) but more sophisticated.
I had a student with one two weeks ago on VIR. Car was a blast to ride in and look over. Great student too. very eager to learn yet not stupid to get things out of control.

The road going version needs a transmission cooler and bigger oil cooler for any seriosus driving. Both started to over heat with only minimal spirited driving.

I disagree the Ford GT is not even close to a C6R, more like a C6Z06 except with more HP and TQ and no TQ managment or Active Handleing, plus far better brakes then the stock Corvette.

Even with minimal thottle input it was very easy to spin the rear wheels shifting from 2-3 and 3-4.

I have a friend who has both a C6Z06 and a Ford GT. He is putting in the larger oil cooler and a transmission cooler so he can take the car to track days.