View Single Post
Old 17 Sep 2014, 06:27 (Ref:3454211)   #17
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The positive thing about Formula E is that for the first time in a very long time we can see a platform where real exploration and innovation could take place. This is because electric vehicles pose some fundamental challenges in terms of energy storage and delivery. You could conceivably start again and offer power train designers a blank canvass with little in the way of restrictions to genuinely innovate. From a technology perspective, this really would be fascinating and have real world applications and benefits. Imagine somebody managed to develop a compact/light energy storage and motor combo that could run a 200 mile race and safely be charged in under a minute, while propelling the car at speeds of up to 200 mph ? Now that would be something to get the world's attention focusing on F1 technology !

This would allow unbridled innovation, but would it be entertaining ? As I said at the beginning... I really struggled to well up an enthusiasm for these things in the same way I was gushing over the stuff at Goodwood. This is probably related to my age so it was interesting to hear the comments from younger contributors.

On the subject of age, I think the point about the age of the stakeholders is a very good one and that probably explains why F1 is stuck in a rut, penned in by reams of restrictions and using technology reverse engineered from 5 year old road car R+D in an effort to appear futuristic.