View Single Post
Old 17 Sep 2014, 12:06 (Ref:3454295)   #18
mattthompson79
Rookie

mattthompson79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post

Whether we'll be driving electric cars in the future doesn't really matter much - nobody watches F1 because the cars are like what they drive on the road, so this 'road relevance' rhetoric from the rulemakers and stakeholders is a red herring for me.

I think your post bears much merit, however the fact we will driving electric (or hydrogen/ something else), is very relevant and central to where F1 will need to go. F1 cannot bury its head as at some point in the coming years, traditional fuels will become legally and socially unacceptable as a means to power transport. F1 could now direct itself as a leader in the 21st century.

It's decision to use the hybrid engines was essential. People have gotten used to the noise (and those screaming V8s were horrible anyway), and it's a technology the common fan can understand. I drive my Prius with a greater knowledge of what the car's doing because I'm an F1 fan.

I for one will lament the day I don't see petrol racing cars but I understand it's something I will see. Formula E would have been unthinkable ten years ago, yet it's likely by the turn of the next decade that electric will provide the required speed and range to out perform current F1 cars.

Formula E does seem rather sterile store the moment, although the racing was good. Yet, it has embraced exactly what it needs in a way F1 hasn't, social media, fan involvement, approachable drivers and venues that attract full houses (Azerbaijan anybody?). And this is the point, you can have leading technology and regulations that promote racing and harvest competitiveness, the two are not mutually exclusive.

F1 will flourish again, I actually think it's in better health than many people speculate. While Bernie was essential for the sport and turned it into the success it is, his time has come. Insiders suggest that many in the sport didn't expect him to survive the court case, it seems preparations for his departure are being made.