View Single Post
Old 18 Sep 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3454512)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I don't think it's generational thing. Let me ask this question. How would a child react to a racing engine chortling, erupted into life, revved by the driver and screaming down the track. The child would be amazed, astonished, delighted, perhaps even frightened. How would that same child react if an electric car glided past? Perhaps it's not a given that such cars would be quiet and it would be wrong to presume there would be no spectacle if they could turn in a high speed but there's a clear disparity there.

It's possible Formula E will have a long future as a novelty series and the technological possibilities are very compelling. But if motorsport switched to electricity en-mass in a global environment where electric technology was 'normalised' and pedestrian, I think the appeal of motorsport would correspondingly plummet. Frankly, I think F1 would be finished if the world went electric. It's a long way off because I think the world is immersed in the fossils and whilst the rise of green is inevitable and happening, it's still only shuffling slowly forward.
Absolutely. True.
Look at what Red Bull spends its corporate advertising on. Adventure sports.
Difficult, dangerous, cutting edge of human endeavour, courage, bravery,even stupidity sometimes.
That's what appeals to people and what F1 has to understand is that the chariots are only a backdrop.
F1 has lost the ability to attract, as the drivers have become more corporately aligned to sponsors inability to compromise their 'corporate speak-talk.

Real heroes are not corporate speak-talk dolls. They are real people we want to identify with or hold up as people to aspire to.
How many kids want to identify with and aspire to grow up to be a corporate spokes person who can't think for himself....

Last edited by Teretonga; 18 Sep 2014 at 00:31.