Thread: Audi in GT
View Single Post
Old 23 May 2022, 23:00 (Ref:4111099)   #44
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I hate to see variety go, but I have to say its gotten a little boring watching Audi and Mercedes dominate GT3 so regularly, so I wouldn't be quite as sad to see them go as the more exotic manufacturers such as Ferrari, Aston, Mclaren etc.

So WRT must be thinking about finally jumping ship, first they lose their tee'd up LMDH gig, and now they might not have GT3!

I wonder with the Lamborghini LMDH news, whether VAG are re-aligning so their sportscar brands run sportscars- Porsche (GT3 + GT4 + Proto) & Lambo (GT3 + Proto), and Audi can get out of sportscars on the road and track (bye bye R8, hello only S and RS models of the road cars), and focus only on Formula 1.

I imagine all this would be echoing their road car strategy, which seems to be remove Audi's overlap with Porsche in the TT and R8, allowing Lambo and Porsche to be the sportscar brands, and Audi & VW are the daily drive brands. They then use F1 as a marketing tool for the daily drive brand instead of plugging a sportscar directly.

Porsche going to F1 also raises the question as to whether they will stay in Formula E, which I think is very doubtful.
I think you've nailed it right there. Although I think they are missing a trick making the smaller engine city cruiser Boxster/Cayman versions Audis and more power for the Porsches. Could allow them to run a GT4 and TCR car for the daily driver approachable cars and keep Porsche and Lamborghini as the cars for the bedroom wall.