Thread: The Budget Cap
View Single Post
Old 29 Jun 2022, 21:09 (Ref:4117522)   #48
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in fairness how much extra are they asking for?

lets say they are experiencing an extra 10% increase in (un)anticipated costs because of inflation...so that means what?

an extra 10-15mil over the cap that they are looking to access?

rules are rules so i agree they shouldn't get it (or it should come with such a penalty that they wouldn't bother taking it)...but its not a relatively huge amount not really a failure of the system is it?
I have not seen a specific value mentioned in any of the articles I have looked at. The financial regulations allow up to 5% overage without serious penalties kicking in. So it is expected that those teams with money will see how close to 5% over they can get.

The teams have talked up primarily the impacts to shipping costs, but sometimes other things as well (material, staff salary). I "think" I heard someone mention cost of utilities, travel, etc. But I think facility costs and travel/lodging for staff are excluded from the caps. So the question is... what are the "unplanned" increases. I think that is mostly shipping??? So how much of each teams budget is "shipping" and how much extra is that.

Frankly, I think the teams who could spend more than allowed will take whatever they can get and then adjust to that value. Including... no change to the caps. I will be frankly shocked if any of the large teams purposefully spend MORE than the 5% overage without being told they can. Imagine if Ferrari wins the WDC or WCC and spend OVER the 5% but RBR comes in second and spend under the 5% overage. Do you think Ferrari would come out of that unscathed? No. The next option is for the big teams to all overspend. But they would have to collude to do so. And even then, would they trust their peers to not screw them in the end (agree to overspend, then not overspend and then protest those who did overspend). And I am not sure if any type of collusion is legal (either in F1 or in general law) on something like this.

Richard