View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2517454)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I assure you it's a fact...
Thinking about this I didn't mean increase the diameter, that would actually work the other way. Anyway.

I'm not disagreeing, I don't know either way. I'd like to see how that works. Intuitively it doesn't seem right. Why would increasing the width decrease the contact patch.
Two tyres has (twice the) contact area than one tyre. Why isn't having a tyre twice the width similar to two tyres? (I can see why it would deviate a little due to edge effects, but not decrease).
Got a diagram?

Edit...
Ah because of the weight.
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Tyres...5/article.html
I'm in the zone now. As you said a wider tyre can run cooler and allow a softer compound.