Old 30 Aug 2013, 06:16 (Ref:3296023)   #2519
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
I have to say, I'm very impressed with Porsche in many ways already.

In fact, I'm almost inclined to give them the title of favourite for next year.

That seems pretty ludicrous right now, particularly as it'll be their first year back, but the fact they've been testing the new car for quite a while, well before Audi and Toyota have, makes me think they'll be very competitive from the word go in the WEC next year. Unlike Toyota, expense doesn't seem to be (as much as) an issue.

Plus it is clear Porsche won't be at Le Mans to make up the numbers. Their whole promotion for this new project has been based on previous success, and surely, it'll be bad for them if they aren't in contention for the win in their first year.

Sure, it'll be difficult, but it is just an inkling I have. If I was Audi and Toyota, I'd be pretty worried.

Dr. Ullrich has declared, interviewed by the magazine Le Mans Racing (issue #77), Porsche will be the huge and tough challenge for Audi. Mr. Audi is not the man whot talks just to talk, and this means he knows Porsche is working to a competitive project. Anyway, he has admitted there isn't any know-how swapping between Porsche and Audi, and each of them is working in the maximum secret.
Audi is advantaged due to its recent, winning and long experience in LMP1, but Porsche is advantaged due to the longer time they're working on the new car.
In 2014 rules will be new for all, and having a very well proven car, could be a real step forward in confront of the opponents.
We don't know anything about the engine Porsche will fit in the car (only speculations), but engine is tested since mid-2012!
In 2012 Audi and Toyota were both working full-time on their R18 and TS-030, while Porsche was full-time working on its 2014 spec LMP1.
So, Porsche will be a serious contender in 2014, and will not be there just to fill the grid.
If Porsche had debuted with the actual rules, in 2014, they would have been disadvantaged against Audi and Toyota experience. With 2014 new rules, differences will be attenuate.
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR