View Single Post
Old 8 Nov 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3472872)   #96
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Hm. "Director of Partnership Relations". If there's one thing most ALMS fans would agree on, it's that the series was abysmally bad at cultivating partnerships and sponsorships, particularly in the latter years (and of course the famous missed opportunity for the Coca-Cola sponsorship, which I understand might be apocryphal). Let's hope this was more to ALMS upper management and that Julie Bentley can have a positive impact at WC.

Sorry to be such a downer, but *anything* related to the ALMS and marketing doesn't set off happy fireworks for me. We'll see I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Pirelli World Challenge ... presented by Yancy's Fancies.

Fair enough, but, serious question: Was Yancey's Fancies actually bad for the ALMS? Probably not. (Was it good for the ALMS? ...Well, probably not.)

Second question: What do we actually know about the oft-mentioned Coke deal? I've never seen any of the specifics anywhere. It is very possible that Coke wasn't willing to pay-or promote-the series as much as was needed.
Also Coke has sponsored NHRA for a while now and it really hasn't helped them.

I posted the article because, a few weeks ago, concerns were voiced that PWC did not have enough people with high level sports car experience.
Well, there isn't get any higher level of sports car racing than the old ALMS, and 13 years is a lot of experience.

Seriously, World Challenge is really good. Give it a chance!

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 8 Nov 2014 at 18:21.