Thread: Selling Photo's
View Single Post
Old 6 Jun 2003, 14:52 (Ref:622969)   #4
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul I would check the copyright laws in your own country. They vary from country to counrty.

You may own copyright to the image you shot but you may not own copyright to the likeness of the person or property shown in the image. Again check your country's laws.

Also copyright of images shot at an event such as a CART race are co-owned with CART and the person in the image. Meaning that if a team or driver hired a photographer to shot him, CART would co-own the image even though the driver paid for the images to be shot. I know Canada laws regarding copyright go against the photographer.

If you selll the images to the media for editorial use then you should not have problems with copyright.

I think any problems that may arise from selling images will come from the money involved with such sale. If you are only getting a few coins from the sale then most teams, drivers or series most like don't care. If you are making huge amounts then they may care.

For some it may be just a ego thing. I heard a story regarding Dario Franchittii. He was a a karting event which involved some really young children. One child racer about 8 years old had a helmet paint the same as Dairo's since he wqas his faovrite driver. Dario wanted the child to re paint the helmet because he didn't give permission for him to paint it in the first place. Now thats an ego problem!

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 6 Jun 2003 at 14:53.