View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 2011, 11:05 (Ref:2972574)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I may be wrong, but I have this feeling that GPLawnmower is like an enormous bubble waiting to burst. It's all so artificial. I even think F2 is better and that's really saying something.

I have no idea how, but the teams were persuaded to sign up to run two cars at every meeting with massive financial penalties if they failed to do so. That's how they get a full grid every time. Teams are running drivers at a loss on the basis that some money is better than no money.

As for the drivers, they get real no satisfaction from racing the cars. Yes, good results look fine on their CVs, but listening to Valtteri Bottas and Alexander Sims at the last two BF3 meetings, they both much preferred F3 for just about every reason you could think of and said that every other driver in the GP3 paddock would say the same..
Very insightful strider, thank you.

I can't say i'm surprised about the drivers views even if might be said that Bottas made hard work of F3, so even more impressive to hear him thinking this!

I guess the main reason they have done 'GPL' is because sponsors or their career might be better suited short term at least by racing in front of the F1 and GP2 teams every other weekend.

That shouldn't, as you have pointed out, be confused with what actually constitutes a proper racing category....