View Single Post
Old 11 Oct 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3856172)   #36
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So a young girl starts karting at the age of six. By the time she's sixteen and had 10 years of mixed gender racing, she moved into her first single seater category, and possibly within one or two seasons, moves up the ladder where for one or two seasons she races exclusively against the best racers that happen to share XX chromosomes, and then from then on she's racing with those with XY chromosomes again.

Whilst I think its good people are thinking of how to make it easier for women to access what is predominately a male sport, I don't think this is the best way of doing it, unless those that are stumping up the cash don't think that sponsoring individual women in specific series could lead to their involvement being diluted amongst the rest of the grid - Formula W would mean that the message whatever that is gets across.

In my opinion its not the women drivers who need a particular break, but its the other women involved in motorsport - those building and preparing cars, those on the pit wall, data analysts, all the aspects of motorsports where women are overlooked or its assumed they're not capable - so insist that the majority of the team are women with men involved in only a supervisory or advisory role, probably because they have more experience, because its easier for a male to get involved in motorsport.