View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2611111)   #63
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Couple of other things. Now that rumoured Tom's GB Supra.....

Didn't John Wickham enter one in a couple of Spa 24's in 88/89 or 90 with Dowsett in the roster? Begs the question if they had this car all along and whether they did a few enduro's after the BTCC plans came to nought?
Think that was the Japanese end of TOM'S? They came over for Spa a few times around that time, with both Corollas and Supras (When TOM'S GB ran their first fwd Corolla for Dowsett and Needell at Spa in '87, IIRC, there was also a Japanese-crewed rwd AE86 entered by TOM'S)

Quote:
Vic Lee replaced Hodgetts in the MIL team from May/June time for a while.
Lee shared the #1 car with Hodgetts at Donington, then drove the second Supra when that finally appeared. After Chris parted company with the team, Mark Hales and Ian Flux took over #1

Quote:
Dennis Leech went sideways into a marshalls post prior to the chicane in that Thruxton round necessitating a reshell. I think this was the only time his car was reshelled from a shunt. The thinking in the Rover thread is that he replaced his original Martin Thomas built car with a TWR chassis (a rebuilt Bastos carpranged at Zolder in late '85?) with numerous late model upgrade ready for the 1987 season? Can't recall if this was totally verified?

This was the car used again in 1988, I'm notm sure if he ran again in '88 after that shunt???
That sounds about right- the 1987 onwards Leech car has been reshelled a couple of times, but I think one of them was by a later owner. Think it started life as the ex-Walkinshaw '85 Zolder Bastos car rebuilt into a new shell by Dennis (from vague memory, the Zolder shunt was a first-lap job, and a fairly big hit- something like Tom got tapped from behind and turned around in front of the pack, and was collected pretty much head-on by a 635....)

According to the race results I've got, Dennis repaired the Rover and carried on for a few more rounds before parking it just after mid-season (Thruxton had been his first appearance of the year- think he did Rounds 3-6 and 8)