View Single Post
Old 28 Feb 2014, 11:53 (Ref:3373140)   #14
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a very experienced rally organiser, this has been banded about for a long time, the success of the Tour of Mull and Jim Clark Memorial Rally shows that they can work in the right places and are welcomed by the local people. However running a rally like that takes a huge amount of work, almost beyond what a club can do.
There are only a very few places where you could run a closed road rally. You have to find a set of good twisty roads near a town with enough facilites, not in a National Park or an area with a lot of holiday homes. That's just for a start as you then have to get local folk and the local authority on side.
Here is Cumbria we have a long history of fantastic road rallies in the past but despite having great roads and some ideal towns as bases, I think the chances are are bout 1% due to two national parks and lots of holiday homes in the few areas outside the NPs.
Any rally would have to be a really big one to justify the effort and bring the income to justify it to the local community.
What I do see is the possibility of sprint and hill climb events. There are a number of "demonstration" events like the one at Kop Hill that could be made competitive.
What I find annoying is that the documents sent to clubs yesterday were all about rallies and hill climbs but then we get big news items on the TV about the "London GP" which was not mentioned by the MSA