View Single Post
Old 23 Aug 2021, 10:51 (Ref:4069966)   #971
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
TCR Australia is just some marginal series, no big sponsors involved, no big teams involved. What's so interesting in this?.
I would argue that Supercheap and GRM are big names.
Im not saying VASC has no place and should end, my point is the TC in ATCC is touring cars, which were traditionally modified versions of mainstream production cars. Supercars are really sports sedans, which were purpose built chassis with "look alike" road car bodies.

In the 70s we had a booming sports sedan champs, with the moffstang, super falcon, charger, wild toranas and monaros and other goodies. They big tough crude loud and exciting. everything supercars claims now.

And we had touring cars, which were "closer to stock" actual production cars albeit highly modified, with pro and part time teams.

We had both then, why not now? Award Aust sports sedan champ to supercars and ATCC to tcr. How does VASC suffer if they are switched to sports sedan list? what pain will they feel? Supercars have buried and ignored ATCC title anyway, they dont want or care very much.
But giving the title atcc to tcr might even get more cars or sponsors in that class. win-win.

I dont see it as us v them, I want to see ALL classes maximised, nd the best fit titles for each class. In a perfect world there would be some form or other of quality well supported motor racing every weekend (Ok take xmas week off if you must)