View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2007, 01:16 (Ref:1818074)   #1
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
'red wall tyres' idea....

I recently read an article about the new seasons' control tyres - with speculated 2 variants, a hard compound and 'red wall' tyres indicating the soft compound (as is currently used by bridgestone in the IRL i am led to believe?). Now i'm not sure if i understood the article correctly, but it got me thinking:

suppose all drivers were issued with 3 sets of tyres for any given race, with all being hard compound apart from 1 special set being soft compound 'redwall' tyres.

The thinking being, that a driver could use his set of 'red walls' to his advantage as he and his team saw fit, at the stage of the race that they saw fit.

Overtaking would be easier due to some of his competitors being on the harder compound as per their strategy. This could result in many varying strategies for the drivers and teams to play with, and could result in a greater grip differential between car and drivers, therefore resulting in greater passing opportunities throughout the race...

obviously a setup for a hard compound is slightly different as compared to a soft compound, but i'm sure the idea could be engineered to work.

this isnt a very thoroughly thought out idea, but more a speculation. Would be keen to hear what others think?

Last edited by rocketracer; 18 Jan 2007 at 01:19.