View Single Post
Old 12 Nov 2019, 07:04 (Ref:3940104)   #8
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
The Penske penalties have been mentioned in both the Bathurst and Sandown race threads, but as the issues straddle both threads I considered it advantageous to start a separate thread.

Attached is the Stewards Report on the issue' I commend it to your reading as there has been a lot of ill-informed comment in social media.

https://www.cams.com.au/docs/default...rsn=81f5ebfc_2

On the bottom of page 1 it notes the maximum allowed valve lift is 0.710 inches. The highest measurement on the Penske engine was 0.7135 inches. The difference is 0.0035 inches. This is only 0.5% out. Surely an acceptable tolerance, particularly as there is some ambiguity over measurement procedures.

I note they still use inches whereas the rest of us went metric long ago.

Three interesting comments by the Stewards half way down page4:

The engine had trouble with water vapour being emitted from the oil tank. "the possibility that that the issue had some bearing on the valve lift COULDN'T be dismissed"

After the Technical Department ran the engine it did not exceed the mandated maximum power.

"There was NO demonstrated performance advantage from the Maximum Valve Lift exceedance".

In the light of these three statements I ask what is all the fuss about?
So 5 cylinders over the limit the worst of which was 0.0035" or 0.0889mm over the lift limit! So the biggest error that was measured was less than 9 hundredths of a mm. I think that questions should be asked if the "officials" are capable of measuring these tolerances, what temperature they were measured at, what is considered acceptable drag on the gauges etc. etc.

Agree with you Terry, this looks like a complete fit up to me!