View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2019, 15:08 (Ref:3921522)   #266
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I can't agree with this. IMO, that's just victim-blaming. If you're in a situation where a race is "always going to be like that" when driver X leads, then that driver shouldn't be in a racing car. And saying Sutton was naive is giving him the responsibility to avoid being driven into by someone.

That's not ok IMO, and if this was any other driver in any other series then we'd be asking why there wasn't a ban.
Is that being any better than the people on social media by implying that one driver is treated differently from others though? Why should he get a ban for one slight push at the first hairpin and one blatant one later on? Plenty of other drivers have hit people more than once in a race this year but no-one was talking about a ban for them. Just because it wasn't at the front of the grid doesn't change it.

Races like this are always going to happen with tyres like that and that's why they did it to a large extent. If drivers are just going to say "I'm on the worst tyre and he's on the best so I'll just wave him by" the TV audience would soon switch off. It's the argy bargy that people love about the BTCC. Trying to turn it into some sort of tin top F1 or historic "after you Claude" race will kill it off for sure.