View Single Post
Old 9 Aug 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3287693)   #68
trickyd
Racer

trickyd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two things make me think this is a massive load of rollocks. Firstly, Ferrari pulled out of Prototype Sports Car racing as a works team before the start of the 1974 season because Luca de Montezemelo, and Nikki Lauda, decided that you couldn't run a successful F1 team and a Sports Car effort at the same time and pooled all of the Scuderia's resources in F1. Luca de Montezemelo is still in charge of these things, and I doubt anything that has happened in the last 39 and a half years will have changed his mind. Secondly, second in importance to Luca at Ferrari is Fernando Alonso, single-mindedly held bent on winning a 3rd World Championship and likely to throw the mother of all hissy fits if it looks like Ferrari are about to do anything that would divert even the slightest bit of their attention away from him.

Having said all that, Ferrari theoretically have a lot going for them in terms of building a winning LMP1 car. Rory Byrne, who designed their dominant F1 cars of the Schumacher era still works for them he just designed the LaFerrari and is probably twiddling his thumbs looking for something to do. They have the facilities, they have an unparalleled ability to attract sponsors, a partnership with Shell fuels, they have or will have a WEC rule eligible engine and a hybrid system, their newest supercar is hybrid, they have a lot of talented drivers contracted to them frustrated driving GT cars (probably), they have AF Corse to run the cars and maybe even Dallara to build it for them. So?

In all honesty if something along these lines does occur I'd say it would be either a Maserati, an Alfa Romeo or a private car funded and run by a very rich eccentric.