View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3826407)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks to marshals at Oulton yesterday(2/6/18)

I had a great Swinging 60s race, contesting with more equally powered cars - until the last few minutes! The morning drizzle had stopped, the track had dried, it was all-out racing, and I went to pass another car on Island Bend, the fastest on the circuit that is usually taken with a lift, or a brief brake. Taking the outside line, I was too fast, went off on the outside, onto the grass. A race driver, on grass, is a passenger. No brakes, no steering. I was heading at full speed for the barrier inside the Hairpin that follows Island. It was only the gravel trap that stopped me, less than ten feet from disaster. My race was over.

But not my car! Dug into gravel, I expected to need an Iron Fairy, one of the tractors that wave their magic wands and lift you out, but a team of marshals PUSHED me out! Good job, guys! Thank you! The car restarted and I drove back to the paddock at non-race speed, to live another day, and shortly to race at Spa! WooHoo!

JOhn