View Single Post
Old 24 Nov 2022, 21:34 (Ref:4134758)   #98
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
Speaking at Sunday's Abu Dhabi season finale, Szafnauer believes Alpine has come out better from F1's standout silly season saga, because he thinks Gasly is a better driver than Piastri will turn out to be.

Oh Otmar, sometimes you should just move on
He may be right, re driver talent or he may be wrong - no way of knowing either way (yet) - no data for Otmar, none for us on that yet.

Agree that he should move on though - the whole saga and many of the things that he had to say did not paint Otmar in a good light at all.

I actually found it quite interesting that when there were questions about Aston Martin component legality this year, Daddy Stroll didn't blaze away threatening legal action in the way that he's threatened previously - made me wonder if it was Otmar winding him up back then and if without that winding up, he is being more circumspect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Gasly has looked brilliant at times. This season though, he seems to have gone off the boil somewhat. Whether this is down to car or driver I don't know. I think a change of scenery might do him some good.

I have no idea how Piastri will get on. He was certainly highly sought after.
Agree with this - Gasly has generally punched above his weight up until this year, has been one of the great shames of this season that we haven't seen some Gasly heroics at some stage. Whatever the cause, Alpine may be a positive change for him or it may not - I'm hopeful that it IS a positive change and we see some special weekends for him as on his day, he can be genuinely special.

As for Piastri, no question that he's good but remains to be seen how good he is in an F1 car and in the way of these things, I don't imagine think it'll be clear to those of us watching until a couple of seasons are under his belt.