Thread: Car Spotting
View Single Post
Old 28 Nov 2022, 04:41 (Ref:4135097)   #376
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Very cool.
More cool was how I found said Ciroen 'H' Van..... Driving close to home yesterday I spotted a "Vintage" Alfa Romeo driving at a decent lick on the road.

Decided to follow briefly hoping it would stop at lights or shops and I could look closer. Within a couple of miles it turned into a Private school. I followed him in.

To my complete surprise assembled in the grounds were many dozens of Alfa Romeos (plus a few other Italian intruders.... and a Citroen H Catering Van!) parked on the school grounds. I had stumbled upon the Alfa Romeo Club Day! So with sun shining and nothing better to do I 'parked and perved' for a couple of hours. The trip to the garden centre was aborted!

Found and chatted to said Alfa owners (Paul and John Lawson). It is one of three 1929 Alfa Mille Miglia Spiders, developed from the 6C 2300B by Enrico Nardi and Enzo Ferrari This was a true barn find; discovered on a property in Calabria, Italy, in 1979 by their father Andrew. The original chassis and and engine were found buried under 10 tons of rusted farm equipment, where they had remained undisturbed for 40 years. In fact, there were actually two cars, so he bought both and used the other for spares, as he lovingly restored the Alfa back to its original condition over a 30-year period.

It’s the same model Alfa Romeo that won the 1929 Mille Miglia. The car was raced by Ferrari, and damaged in Argentina. has an extensive race history having been raced in Europe, Asia, South America, North America and now
Australia where it has taken part in 12 Targa Tasmania and 5 Classic Adelaide’s events. (Under the Lawson family ownership its great to hear they use the car regularly and have covered over 100,000 RACING miles in it over the last 30 years, including many of the re-enactment of the Mille Miglia events.)

Anyway enough blah-blah, other than to say what a stunning car and as mentioned great to see it is used so much and not a "trailer Queen", driven regularly on the roads as well as its racing activity. It certainly has a well used patina to it.

Fortunately the camera was in my car, battery charged, so couple of pics....