Thread: The Arc
View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2417013)   #6
xlr8r
Racer

United States
Boston, Massachusetts
xlr8r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luggispeed, hopefully I can clear some things up for you.

This picture should explain things better. In sketchup I only included permanent walls and barriers. But a multipurpose oval does use lots of temporary barriers.

The top part of the picture shows the oval stright being used as the road course straight, and the oval pit lane used for the road course pitlane. The combined course using turns 3 and 4 of the oval would use this first turn layout. This layout for the last turn out of the road course would rarely be used if ever.

The lower part of the picture shows the oval pitlane being used as the road course front staight. This is the layout that would be used the most for the road course. Black lines show the track edges roughly and white lines show temporary walls that would need to be in place for such courses.

Also for just oval use, temporary barriers would need to be located accross the first and final corners plus the backstretch chicane for safety reasons.

I designed the track this way so that different combinations of front staight and pit lane can be used for different series. Similar to Indianapolis and Homestead.

Also because of the multiple course layout not all things are perfect. Ideally I would want the oval pit wall not to jut out that far. But NASCAR needs a pitlane that is that long and wide.

Hopefully things are a bit clearer now.
Attached Thumbnails
pit lane.jpg