View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2014, 00:10 (Ref:3432330)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
My 04 STi did happen to find a stonewall on a gravel driveway. In hindsight, 50+ mph through my friends' frontyard wasn't the brightest of ideas.

The 01 Legacy is the one I final ruptured the head gasket on doing donuts in the snow at the Academy Sports parking lot. There was 206K miles on it and it was a mess when i bought it. I just put it out of it's misery.

I'd have to look it up again but it's one type of motor built between a certain time that the head gaskets WILL go on; it's only a matter of time. The rest? Keep under the redline and you may do OK. However, once it's replaced by the right people, they'll last forever.
Interestingly, the dealer may not be the right place to get that kind of work done. They usually dont have a clean room to do the engine out/head gasket off/machine the facings kind of environment.

I have watched them rebuild an STi engine onto a replacement block (the old one had a hole in it) out in the open air, bringing a combination of new and old bits into the mix... It seemed to run all right, and the customer gave a good NPS score But it was kind of a bit 3rd world in the preparation stakes.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods