View Single Post
Old 2 Jun 2011, 16:28 (Ref:2890048)   #7
beltanedeath
Rookie

United Kingdom
near york
beltanedeath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a newbie, i asked this question a while ago, I suppose it's the "what's in it for me?"

Insurance? cheap overalls? and to be honest not much else that i can see although I stand to be corrected.

I think there are too many clubs and if you don't know the system when starting out it's all a bit intimidating.

I should point out I don't "belong" to one circuit or discipline and I work shifts, I wanted to keep my options open, I think if you did belong it might be different?

I also stand to be corrected on this, but isn't the quality of the posts sorted by the track? I was told the the posts at cadwell had been re vamp when Mr Palmer took over the track, they certainly are better at cadwell than croft and to that end, it should be the track who are responsible for the maintenance/refurbishment of the essential features, for me that includes our posts.

As for the getting and keeping young/new blood? It's something I've thought about, when as being 40 I'm the youngest on post....sometimes by 20 years, on one occasion I shared a post with some one who was 64 and a man who was 76 I think. And to make myself perfectly clear I don't say that in a disparaging way, age had no impact in their ability to do the job. I mention it because I wondered where will the marshals come from in 10-20 years time.

I am the iphone generation, probably the very start of it! but never the less...
I don't know what would make me want to be in a car marshal club, I belong to plenty of clubs and have membership cards. I guess you need to supply something I want or make it compulsory.

Racesafe, the guys that do british superbikes, world superbikes and moto gp in the UK. You pay £30, do your training, get a free set of probans and waterproofs, a personal pass, car pass and caravan pass, which makes you feel like you belong. (and i'm not interested in the whole car versus bike thing, save that for another thread).

In short then before I waffle on too much, my personal thoughts are that each track should have its own marshals club,(to which you would pay a nominal yearly fee), which is affiliated with all the other tracks marshals clubs so you are a member of all clubs (letting you "work" at different tracks (a bit like working mans clubs, which I just about remember!)). Theses clubs would then be overseen by one body, which would aim to standardise things like training, radio procedure etc etc.

I realise this doesn't really help but I thought I'd share.

Sean