Thread: Team Honda in F1
View Single Post
Old 2 Jul 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3915531)   #89
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
well im not approaching this as a zero sum game. fair enough if you think i have a bias towards drivers (i do) rather than the people working back at the factory but just because i think the driver deserves more of the credit that doesn't diminish what i think anyone else did.
I think it's absolutely correct to call out kudos to one or more individuals or groups. But I think it's a loosing proposition to try to rank credit in situations like this. Such as X deserves more credit than Y. Because it inherently is diminishing in nature. Especially when it should be a happy time for both X and Y.

Quote:
i can celebrate someone without the need to put the other side of the equation down.
My criticism (which we probably have talked to death at this point) is I felt that is not what you did.

Quote:
after all these years i would hope that has shown through on my posts...maybe not though.
Agree. My response was because it seemed out of character. I just found it odd for you to downplay the positive Honda success story in the Honda thread. But people can post whatever they want. I am not the forum police.

Quote:
anyways, my early point was more about how unusual it is to see what everyone essentially considers an inferior car and engine win a race, both RB and Honda have said its too early in their partnership to be looking at wins and certainly not wins based on merit, the anti stall kicking in, the issue with tires during the first stint but still ran longer to give him more fresh laps on the hards, issue with the energy recovery unit/clipping, thought he was losing power, sensor issue, when he kept the Racing Point ahead of him in order to hit the DRS activation which he then used after quickly passing the RP to get closer to Bottas(? i think it was)....is the point i am making really that unusual?
It's easy to just see the driver in this equation. The focus on Sunday is on him. And I am taking absolutely NOTHING away from Max here. But beware of discounting the work by the team as a whole to get to this point. Not to mention work during the race weekend. In the end, I have no doubt Max is patting himself on the back (rightly so), but would say he couldn't have done it without the rest of the team. Note... on the podium he walked out and pointed to the Honda badge on his drivers suit first thing. He was saying "thank you". He could have left the platitudes for later once off the podium, but I assume he felt is was the right thing to do at that moment vs. trying to soak up all the glory for himself.

Quote:
agree to disagree but for me i think Max deserves the lions share of the credit for this win...thats not a slight on Honda but rather just appreciation on my part of a very special athletic performance.
We can agree to disagree. I am not sure why you feel the need apportion credit as a way to call out Max's contribution. Or maybe I just feel it's odd to do so in the Honda thread. But I am repeating myself

Max doesn't require an epic drive in a "bad" car so as to make the story great. I think the fact that he wasn't driving a Ferrari or a Mercedes makes the point you are trying to make. I think his drive can be considered great regardless of what he was driving. There is also apples to oranges in the comparison. If it was me... and you want to pump up Max via comparison to something or someone... I might note that Max destroyed his teammate in the same car. That is a more apples to apples comment.

Check out how Gasly fits in the list of winners and losers...
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...tzwPlCNy9.html

Richard