Thread: CSCC Donington
View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3938893)   #42
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly many many drivers were in favour of not having a time limit for pit stops over the 6 years i was on the Committee inc the 2 or 3 when i was a series rep, and in addition to the reasons given above, there was a strong feeling from many that it introduced a team element in to the race, and it wasnt just the drivers that were responsible for a result.
Of course, safety is paramount and whilst i wouldnt say we havent had close calls I would say that we do have a lot of observers and Stewards monitoring for unsafe behaviors and cars have been prevented from leaving the pits if deemed unsafe. Hans devices add a slight complication but i dont find them an issue.
To be fair, how many pit lane incidents have there been in 12 or 13 years? I genuinely dont know of any.
Interestingly, though, in Magnificent 7s there is a 1 min statutory pit stop, and this is because the confines of the 7 cockpit and cage mean that this is deemed to be safer. As a 7 driver now, i appreciate the rest that the 1 min stop gives me, but if i returned to saloons ior GT type cars I would very happily have the unregulated pitstop & dont feel they are unsafe.