View Single Post
Old 16 May 2000, 16:36 (Ref:1086)   #6
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for the vote of confidence folks. In this case, however, it is misplaced.

I was wrong.

With the help of Schume's excellent list, I checked out some names I had forgotten, and I found 5 Ferrari rookies since Baghetti.

The answer to the puzzle is Arturo Merzario, who started the 1972 British GP in a Ferrari 312B, his first GP start.

Others are Clay Regazzoni, Ignacio Giunti (1970), Jonathan Williams and Derek Bell (1968) Strange, I could have sworn Derek had a non-works McLaren drive before that. But not according to my records.

Others who had their first GP start in a Ferrari were de Adamich, de Portago, Gendebien, Gurney, Phil Hill, Maglioli, Mairesse, Parkes, Ricardo Rodriguez, Scarfiotti, Serafini, Von Trips.

Carini and Peter Whitehead were privateers in non-works Ferraris, Ascari and Villoresi were already established drivers when the World Championship was inaugurated.

Phew!

[This message has been edited by TimD (edited 16 May 2000).]