Thread: Modern Group A
View Single Post
Old 15 Sep 2012, 02:27 (Ref:3136145)   #30
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Not something we had in australia, at least i dont think so, as i said, way too young
We sort of did have Group 5 in Australia. They competed in Sports Sedan racing

The likes of Alan Jones Porsche 935 or the JPS BMW 320 Turbo's were homologated Group 5 cars, and raced in the Sports Sedan/GT Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Why did we get rid of Group C, it seemed to have what the people wanted and with hindsight i would say group A was a backwards step.
Because by 1983/84 the Group C rules had become a basket case, largely due to CAMS changing the rules every ten seconds to try and even the competition up.

For instance Mazda would get a concession (say the 13B), which would lead to Holden saying we need this to catch up, and Ford teams saying we need that, so they'd be granted, only for Mazda to say we need another thing to keep up now, while Nissan would say we need another turbo to keep up with that lot & have it granted....while BMW always got knocked back when asking for something. Group C had little future beyond 1984 anyway, only Nissan & Holden would have likely stuck round beyond then.

Group A was seen as a way to take all the arguing out of the teams hands (and off CAMS back) and leave it with the manufacturers and Paris

rules wise, there was little infighting until 1991/92 when CAMS were looking after it all again.

The best Group A years were the early days, 1986 and 1987, before the homologation specials started to rule.... 1990 rates a worthy mention though too.