View Single Post
Old 13 Jul 2019, 08:00 (Ref:3917302)   #16
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Nissan probably still uses the OEM headlights, but the others are formed as part of the bumper with a polycarbonate lense glued over the top.
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...odore-supercar

Likely that VF and FGX had about 50-60% factory parts externally, because of closeness to factory for development.

ZB more like 20-30% exterior parts, biggest part being the bonnet, which is original aluminium.

Quote:
Under the skin it’s much the same story. Door frames, side pressings and some infill parts that connect the panels to the chassis are sourced from Germany, but much more is designed in-house than when Holden teams were supplied ‘spoils’ off the Commodore line at Elizabeth. Says Cauchi: “We’re still a little bit reliant [on the factory for parts], but probably only [to the tune of] 20 to 30 percent, whereas we used to be 50 to 60 percent reliant.”
Quote:
Up front, aero modifications are only allowed below the bumper line, so within those confines the key change was an aggressive step shaped into the cheek just in front of the wheelarch. That change delivers a little more (compensating) front downforce, but also costs some drag.
This is interesting and I wonder what they interpreted differently to the Mustang.

Anyway point being the cars drifted further from production parts for practical reasons, and Ford literally made no attempt to use any production parts.

There are various pictures around but the most striking comparison for me was with Enforcer and the Dude, where it was kinda obvious that Ford did whatever they had to in order to make the thing slippery even if it ended up a caricature of the real car. There's a certain amount of licence you have to take but if you put road car vs race car for any of the previous makes, and there's parity there that you just don't see with the Mustang front end.

I have no doubt if this car still looked like a Mustang, that between Penske's resources, Ludo's demon tweaks and Scott's driving, it would still win. That's the shame of it that I see.