View Single Post
Old 17 Feb 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2832932)   #14
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I went back to the Jarama races I have. I think more what I was remembering was Gilles Villeneuve straight-lining the left-hand curve so he would be, by default, on the inside for the first hairpin there.

Acque Minerali is certainly a challenging corner, but overtaking there isn't all that common. Also, even if you somewhat blow the exit, there's that kink back to the left almost immediately, and then you don't have a huge run to do anything along that stretch because of the Variente Alta. If there is a 'star" corner at Imola, I'd probably says it's Piratella, as it can get pretty dicey forcing it two-wide through there and down the hill to Acque Minerali.

It's a fairly similar deal with Turn 6 at Melbourne. Turn 7 immediately after, and Turn 8, make defending on the run to Turn 9 relatively easy. And that stretch isn't terribly long, so it's not a terribly common point to pull off a move anyway. Turn 3, 4, and 5 are really what set up the unpredictability that allows for passes into Turn 6.

Probably the best pinch corner and chicane I've seen is the left/right just before start/finish on the Shanghai street circuit Superleague Formula used in 2010. You don't really slow for it, and it's soon enough after the preceding corner to not muck up overtaking attempts. It also then puts you dead astern of your competitor (in his slipstream) for the main part of the front stretch, which gives a very good opportunity for overtaking going into what is effectively Turn 1.