View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3710523)   #15
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
I see, thanks for clarifying. Well then DTM could do two regular season races on Saturday and the big, one million €, 200 mile race on Sunday.

While a revived 1000 km race on the Nordschleife would be nice, it'd definitely have to be a multi-class race. But with proper modifications to track and cars, DTM, TCR, GT3 and perhaps some smaller classes like GT4 or single-spec touring cars like the Clio might fit there...well maybe not the Clios, who would probably be too slow .

But yeah, it's pretty sad that no one in Europe attempts to (re-)establish a big touring car race. I guess that's the result of the decline of touring car racing from the mid-00's to 2015 but maybe TCR will bring some sort of resurrection. Although it'd be even better if TCR allowed for a wider range of cars instead of compact cars with 2-litre turbos. But still, a 100-car TCR grid on the Nordschleife would be nice, a true Champions League final for TCR, so to speak .

Well, they did the 100 car Porsche support race for the N24 a few years ago... so that idea is perhaps not completely absurd. I'd definitely leave out the DTM-cars (too many modifications needed) and the GT3s (would overshadow the real touring cars), though. If you make TCR the top class, you can also more easily extent the field downwards towards the Clios, etc - though I am not sure that would even be needed.

I probably wouldn't go up to 1000k - historically that was always the sportscar distance. When the touring car race was part of the old ETCC they did 500k or sometimes 6h races races, but for starters, I'd even settle for a 200k distance.

Last edited by Speed-King; 6 Feb 2017 at 17:58.