View Single Post
Old 14 Jan 2017, 13:17 (Ref:3702524)   #13
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say that Carl's announcement was a shock. No one saw it coming. After reading all that has been said of it, it appears that the reason is simple, he is just simply ready to retire and spend more time with his family, watch his kids grow up, etc. His wife is a doctor and I'm sure they have discussed, at length, the various risks, especially, the concussion issues, brought to the forefront by the problems that Dale Earnhardt Jr. had. From what I have heard, the wreck at Homestead HURT -- he REALLY felt it. That could also have giving him something to think about, kind of a warning of what could come. He has not been one to have allot of DNFs, due to accidents, but suddenly, this past season, he had four! The NASCAR schedule is GRULING for drivers and especially for team and shop workers. At 37 years old, Carl Edwards really has nothing left to prove. True, he didn't win the Daytona 500 or a Cup Championship, but he very easily could have, had the breaks gone his way. He has had, by all accounts, a very successful career, far more so that most that compete. If he feels it's time to retire, spend more time with family, with his health intact, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. My guess is eventually, he will wind up working in the sport, team owner, fitness trainer for a team, or some other capability. Whatever he chooses to do, he's earned it. I wish him good luck and good health!