View Single Post
Old 29 Aug 2018, 21:23 (Ref:3846975)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Except those of us who watched and remember the ridiculous passing and insanity that was DRS before F1 came up with the reverse idea, remember it was universally derided at the time and hated. It's been brought up multiple times this season and every time the powers that be and teams have said a resounding dear god now, that's not better. It was a gimmick to slow the cars at Texas and it was implemented as all gimmicks are, without decent testing or team approval. It needs to stay where it was and they need to come up with a better whole car solution. Oh wait, that's what they have admitted they are working on and developing the df in a different manner to better balance the cars and work in traffic.
I can't say I've read anything this season about the Hanford Device. With regards to Texas, the Hanford Device had been used by CART since the 1998 Michigan 500. The overriding problem with Texas in 2001, was insufficient testing and when drivers started experiencing dizziness because of the high Gs they were pulling on the 20° and 24° banking, in Turns 1&2 and 3&4 respectively, the race got pulled.

I found this article from the LA Times, about the Hanford Device, after the 1998 Michigan 500 and reading the driver's comments, it doesn't sound like they hate the device, infact quite the opposite. At the time and it was 20 years ago, I don't remember it being universally derided or hated.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/oct/28/sports/sp-36896

It could be seen as a gimmick but considering one of its functions was to slow the cars, after the speeds experienced at Fontana in '97, it achieved that and from a safety perspective, that's far from gimmicky.