Thread: DSC GT1 week
View Single Post
Old 13 May 2020, 05:31 (Ref:3975847)   #3
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These DSC stories made me remember those times.
In 1995 it was shown that none GT could beat McLaren with those rules.
So the Porsche 911 GT1 was inevitable if you didn't change the rules, I suppose the Dauer Porsche should have served as an apprenticeship but it really wasn't.
Thinking about it now and with the intention that things will not overflow, I guess the rules for 1996 should have changed to give normal GTs a chance to win.
For me these are the changes that should have been made in the regulation:
*1100 Kg of minimum weight
*An equal rear diffuser size for all cars, so there's no need to create a long tail
*5% larger flanges for cars with more than 250 street units
*The possibility of placing the engine in a central position for cars produced in more than 1000 units, as is now the case with the 911 GTE Mid-Engine.
*10% smaller flanges and reduced rear wings to cabin size (like Maserati MC12) for prototype cars such as the Toyota GT1, Mercedes CLK LM or the 911 GT1 1998.

with these rules I suppose that Porsche would have made a 911 GT2 EVO mid-engine, Mercedes could have race with the normal CLK, with the experience they already brought from the DTM. The Ferrari F50 GT sure would have entered in competition and The Viper would have continued in GT1.
With these rules perhaps many of the iconic GT1 would not have existed, but it surely wouldn't have collapsed....