View Single Post
Old 7 Oct 2011, 07:48 (Ref:2966979)   #1
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tony Dron's article on historic drivers and BRDC in Octane

Tony Dron's column this month is asking whether drivers in historic series should be eligible for BRDC. Its an interesting point - whilst I know several cars sport BRDC badges as a form of homage to the revered club without the driver actually being a memebr the actual members who race in historics have earned their stripes in modern series (albeit possibly back in the 60's!).
There is apparently a debate within the members as to whether they should allow historic drivers to join. The obvious answer is clearly no as it is easy to shine amongst weekend warriors yet disappear against modern siblings (Edwin Jowsey is a good example).
However I wonder if the debate is more to do with the calibre of new members coming up through the ranks and more to the point the lack of attachment of these drivers. Even at the highest level the Buttons and Hamiltons of this world do not display their membership in the way that drivers as recently as Mansell and Hill did on their car or overalls.
As a club with an ever increasing average age they need to think about the future and how they ensure it still enjoys the patronage it currently has - so do they sell out and allow wealthy historic drivers in now or stick to their principles?
Personally I think they need to stick to their principle to retain credibility. Tony Dron seems unable to make a decision, interesting dilemma and certainly the last time they opened their doors to buy in member it all ended in tears when the paying incomers did not realize they only bought access to the clubhouse not the badge!