Thread: 2023 Season
View Single Post
Old 18 Nov 2022, 00:47 (Ref:4134085)   #72
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2 View Post
I find this to be a totally bizarre backwards step by Haas. Schumacher Jr has been ok imo - just as good as any other rookie that has come into the sport in the last 2-3 seasons. Sure, he hasn't set the world alight but nor have Zhou Guanyu, Tsunoda etc.
I actually think Haas have let Mick down this season, particularly in the mid-late part where they seemed to be making strategic mistakes at every race where Mick was ahead of Magnussen. He'd easily done enough to get himself another season and Magnussen is no slouch either.
However, it was pretty obvious that Mick was going as soon as Steiner started making toxic comments at the mid-point of the season, and frankly I think Mick is better not being in that environment. Sadly, Haas are destined the fail and picking Hulkenberg just demonstrates their lack of ambition or long term plan.

I can understand them wanting to replace Mick, but why not try out another young talent instead? To me it makes no sense at all to bring Hulkenberg in, he's been proven to be solidly average and is likely slower than Mick on pure race pace. This just feels like a massive missed opportunity to A) Develop Mick or B) Bring in another young driver.
Magnussen & Hulkenberg is just completely uninspired and is really not much different at all to Magnussen & Grosjean - who lets not forget both got replaced because they were neither good nor rich enough.
I think there thinking is reverting back to what they were doing when they had Magnussen and Grosjean. Which was to have two relatively experienced (but not top or promising new) drivers in which they would not need to "hold hands" or do any other "driver development" tasks. It seems to be a relatively short term focus issue. Maybe do like before which is focus on the car (development, feedback, etc. and take the driver out of the question.... Hulkenberg is a very known quantity). And they want MORE than just what Magnussen gives them in this area.

Richard