View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2022, 12:56 (Ref:4134605)   #1537
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good series and certainly brought more drivers in to the historic saloon ranks.
It became problematic to many when it became a support for the, as then, British Saloon Car Championship, as it was far more regimented with the historic saloon drivers having to arrive within specified time slots the day before the meetings. Many HRSR drivers at the time, including me, were salaried folks who couldn't just take an extra day off work to fit in with these schedules. Having then to remain at the circuit after the support race before being allowed to leave also meant later arrival home for many with a working day to follow. I think this was the start of the 'monied' crowd being attracted to historic racing and we can see now in retrospect where that's got us.
Great racing, though, with some fantastic cars. I really liked the Chevvy Chevelle that John Young raced initially before Alan Minshaw of Demon Tweeks bought it - that car was so wide! I think allowing the Camaros to race was a mistake as they were the next generation of historic saloons.