View Single Post
Old 8 May 2016, 10:36 (Ref:3640055)   #39
CJFG
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wigan
CJFG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very late review after a very busy time. Usually I don't enjoy the racing at the Hungaroring, but this time the weather changed that. The MAC3 was pretty close but Citroen won again. Michelisz smoked to a stop on the parade lap and Tarquini changed from slicks to wets (later proving wise.) Bennani started the opening race from pole position, driving away on a damp track, but some top names made daft tyre choices. Both works Citroens and works Hondas didn't run full wets, pitted late, and finished pointless, no heroics there. Bennani won, Chilton 2nd and Demoustier 7th; great results for Sebastien Loeb Racing. Ekblom's Volvo was 4th, their best finish. Good race too for Ficza, Filippi (after a penalty for starting incorrectly) and Munnich, all in the top 10.

Lopez led away in the second race and Muller jumped from 7th to 2nd on the opening lap. Bennani was penalised for contact with Monteiro, hard to tell if it was intentional, though Monteiro was fired very wide. Demoustier crashed out on lap 3. Tarquini retired on lap 6 and Filippi spun on lap 8 but continued. After seeing the Huff and Muller contact, I think it was a fault of both their making, however, I think Muller braked a little early for the corner. Michelisz binned a potential top-5 at his home track on the final lap and finished 10th. A Citroen 1-2 then, seemingly usual after the madness of the first race. Bjork equalled Volvo's best finish with 4th and Chilton's solid weekend was cemented with 5th.

The weather and the stewards played huge roles in the weekend. The first was welcome, a good leveller, and the fact the likes of Lopez, Muller, etc cocked up their tyre choices mixed the opening race up. The stewards came to the fore in the second. A driving standards steward (an ex-driver) would be good, to iron out inconsistencies. Bring on Marrakech.