View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2019, 10:27 (Ref:3878162)   #4
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if part of the reason interest is fading is because of the coverage.

Here in the US the coverage isn't as easy to come by, I have to watch WRC/ERC through "unofficial" websites. I think there is some Red Bull TV coverage or something that maybe can be watched in the US, but it's absolutely horrible. Sometimes when the "unofficial" sites can't upload the Eurosport (or whatever it is) coverage of WRC they use the Red Bull stuff and at that point I don't even watch it.

Even the "good" WRC coverage comes in 23~ minute highlights, and 10 mins of those highlights are a recap of the day before and talking to the drivers at the service area. There's so many beautiful, exciting sections of the rallies that we don't see, and drivers that won't even get mentioned that it makes the coverage seem disjointed and I think it makes it tough for people to get invested in it.

It's kinda the same with Dakar this year. I love the Dakar but the coverage is absolutely horrible. They get the same 23~ mins for a day of coverage, and 8-10 mins of it is just talking about the country/people/area... Which would be interesting except for the fact that it means they have less than 15 mins to cover 5 classes and filled with wonderful machines that you don't even know are running unless they are in the top 5, crash, set on fire, or run over a spectator or something like that. I haven't been able to find the Eurosport coverage this year, and I made it about 4 days in on the terrible Red Bull TV coverage before I just gave up.