View Single Post
Old 19 Nov 2019, 16:05 (Ref:3941643)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
The RMA states that about five gallons of oil are used as the feedstock, while another two gallons are used in the tire manufacturing process itself. [/COLOR]Apr 19, 2016[/SIZE][/FONT]
7 gallon x 3.78541litres = 26.5 litres per tyre.
why is so much oil still used to make the tires?

why is so much money is invested in generating power only to have that power wasted due to a very small contact patch of rapidly deteriorating rubber?

i can appreciate that after 150 odd years of using rubber that this aspect of car design will not change...what im curious about is whether or not there is research being done to find alternatives to using oil to create the synthetic compounds necessary to make tires?

i guess what im getting at, is that F1 (because of the money being spent, its global reach, the manus and companies involved) might be a more effective platform through which to develop new technologies while reexamining the logic being what went into creating those old technologies?

is there any real advantage to just letting a tire manu use F1 as an advertising platform? seems like more of a missed opportunity imo.

perhaps there needs to be a tire war or new tire tender with a mandate that sets all those chemical engineers towards creating a more sustainable synthetic compounds to make racing rubber.

i dont know if that is even possible or not but i suppose i would have said that a decade ago about a vastly more thermally efficient engine as well.

or maybe they already are but F1 being F1 they just dont talk about it enough.

flying around the world less and consuming less resources is obviously a good message for consumers but perhaps F1 would be better served by showcasing innovation more.