View Single Post
Old 3 Dec 2019, 17:35 (Ref:3944595)   #73
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Another angle: Force India looked like disappearing altogether recently. If it were not for Stroll Snr, that indeed might have happened. Having splurged kajillions of dollars, he has put Stroll Jnr into a seat. So perhaps we would be looking at an 18 car grid if not for the Stroll family?

In the circumstances, should we be complaining that Stroll is no Schumacher, as without him there would possibly be no seat for Perez?
I look at this way: is the pay driver allowing a seat for a relevant second driver? In this case, no. The second seat is also a pay driver. The second seat is taken by a guy who is basically grid filler at this point. Perez has had some nice drives, but he's never going to be top of the line. Would anyone truly miss him if he wasn't there? How often are we aware he's there if not wrecking with his teammate? So no, it isn't worth it to have racing point if the drivers are who they are. If the second seat was used for an Esteban ocon type, or George Russell, or basically a feeder seat for mercedes to park talent like ocon in, then yes, I might even pull for the team.

I've always had the "what if I won the lottery" dream, where if I won enough to pay for it, I'd spend a portion on a race team. And if I did, I would know my car that i drove in would be uncompetitive, (think gentleman driver in sportscars). And the second seat for that car might be a pay driver to afford a second and maybe third car, which would actually be there for a professional tandem in one, so I would be adding one competitive car to the grid for the fans, while living out my dreams. Let daddy stroll and his boy live their fantasy, fine. But give us a second car and driver that provides us entertainment and excitement. Another pay guy like Perez is not it.