View Single Post
Old 4 Aug 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3757441)   #70
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is all somewhat off topic given the thread title... but I don't even know what "easy to drive" means. Frankly, the the job of the teams is to make them work well on track (and by extension easy to drive). If they are unwieldy monsters then something is wrong somewhere. Regulations have been tweaked to artificially make them harder than they could be. An example is more power and no traction control. Believe me, if traction control was allowed, teams would have it. Given what is technically possible these days, and the overall maturity of race car design, they should be easier to drive than of previous eras. Decades ago, the deficiencies in the cars was much larger, so the impact of the driver was more obviously visible.

Back to the present... Today, talented, but generally inexperienced drivers set quick times in testing. But point made above clearly explain why this doesn't matter. First, while the times are bunched up, clearly the cream still rises to the top. Second, we don't have a bunch of rookies winning races, let alone championships. The difference between legendary and average is just smaller these days (when looking just at the stopwatch). Regardless, skill and experience still counts.

Richard