View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2018, 20:22 (Ref:3794815)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Something more modern and smaller, but which (from sales figures and time on sale) proved to be too clever for the buying public- the Toyota iQ, along with it’s vastly more expensive spin off, the Aston Martin Cygnet! I remember Clarkson on Top Gear renaming the Toyota the ‘Zanussi’, due to its white-goods like proportions.......

There was a clever reason for Aston wanting to sell their version- it’s low emissions would help them achieve a lower average for their range. However, as you can read from the following, not exactly a big seller, but ironically sought after now. Mostly by AM collectors.....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/aston-m...n-cygnet-story
They sold 141 in the UK?

Really?

Back in the year of launch I think I saw one on the road and two outside an AM dealership.

Then nothing until last year when I was following one out of Henley but too far back to catch up and et a closer look before it turned off.

Too clever?

On the basis that they didn't sell many into a target market that is somewhat prone to buying trinkets.... possibly not?

150 hours build time maybe reflects some re-manufacturing effort rather than comparable build time alone for a new DB9?