View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2018, 00:59 (Ref:3871729)   #33
tjh8402
Rookie

United States
Orlando, Fl
tjh8402 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
No actually half of those things would never happen because the rules are still 5500cc normally aspirated and 4000cc turbocharged.

The Ford and the Ferrari could be a lot faster. The Ford doesn't even really need to be unrestricted to, I don't think they've ever taken all the sandbags out. Plus that engine actually already ran at ~600hp in the Ford DP without too much in the way of reliability problems, 800hp in their Daytona demo run, and has done 1000hp on the dyno. The Aston Martin and the Porsche definitely can't. My impression is the Porsche is running practically unrestricted like the Z4 GT3.

Anyways the Ford is basically a 90s GT1 and those could do 3:35-3:40 then with what is ancient tire technology by today's standards.
Unrestricted to me means the displacement and cylinder count limits are gone. Even if they are kept around, the Ferrari V8 in street form is already 100 hp more powerful than the Ford. take the boost and rpm limits away and I don’t see a 3.5L V6 turbo being able to match 4.0L V8 turbos for power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Agree, V6 in ford gt is basically the same engine used in the ganassi riley dp pushing not less than 560hp. The only issue is that engine seems to be a bit low on torque compared to bmw and ferrari turbo engines.
It can make more power than it currently does, but in the end cylinder count and displacement matter. If both are turbo, A bigger engine with more cylinders will ultimately be more powerful.