View Single Post
Old 25 Dec 2000, 01:12 (Ref:54154)   #7
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well put, Jared! I agree with Gerard on direct signal systems, i.e. no ECU, no signal processing. So direct throttle, clutch, gears and brake linkage.

F1 should be about sport, about racing, thus providing entertainment for its fans. Today it isn't.

F1 pretends to be about high-tech, but as Jared well explained it's lost that role long ago.

Jared fears F1 to become a 'a fast parade and the car the only determining factor of success' if the electronic devices are allowed in fully. Well, I can only say that electronics have already such a major place in F1 it's already that fast parade where drivers skill hardly makes a difference.

Billy points out that the FIA has this 'obsession' with slowing the cars down. I don't agree. That slow-for-safety obsession has faded away over the past few years. I don't know how to call today's policy by the FIA and that's because it lacks any vision, any long term schedule for our sport. They probably know as little what they're doing as we know what to think of it. It's a giant mess and someone should sort it out fast, but I guess Mosley ain't capable of some error-diffusion when it's about his own views.

After the electronic-halleluja of 1993 the FIA were afraid they couldn't fill all the mazes in the rules and decided to change the rules in a NASCAR-like fashion, with rules only showing the 'intent' (and that worked well in Florida eh?). The whole idea has backfired on them, coz they can't 'convict' anyone if they cannot make the infringements 100% clear, which they can't coz the teams are clever enough to play the 'intents' of the rules into their own hands. So that's the major thing which needs to be revised. Rules covering the exact scala of Do-s and Don't-s for the teams. Under those rules TC can be as easily forbidden as allowed at wish. Problem is Mosley doesn't want to change those rules coz he's the one who introduced them in the first place! So there you go, the circle is as round as ever and the parade will probably go on for years to come ...